Friday, May 29, 2015

Learning New Things

I am two weeks into my new job and have already learned a great deal about all that USAID does in Africa. I can't believe what a big organization it is!  I was fortunate to get to attend an orientation where they had all of the departments come in and explain what they do.  My big "Aha" moment was when the economic development lead talked about South Africa having the worst "Gini Coefficient" in the world.  The Gini Coefficient is the measurement of the inequality between the rich and the poor.

If you remember my post a few weeks back where Charlie and I followed a Lamborghini to school...I have never seen as many luxury cars as I have here in SA.  However this is what we see more commonly, beat up taxi buses, packed full of people.
This taxi has a duct taped back window, the entire right side was all messed up too!

Here is a nice explanation of what the gini coefficient is:
http://www.rawson.co.za/news/south-africas-gini-coefficient-is-the-highest-in-the-world-id-874

Greg is also learning new things...this week he joined the kids at ice hockey practice!  They have a beginner men's league here and he is excited to try it.  The best part is that everyone can skate together on Tuesday nights!

Katie is a new addition to ice hockey (rather than figure skating) don't get her started on why she's not figure skating unless you have lots of time to chat!

Charlie also had History day at school and could dress up like any historical figure.  We had been reading a baseball book about the greatest games in history so he decided to be Babe Ruth.   Many of his classmates came as pirates (complete with swords).  My favorite line of the day was when the teacher called them all together and told them there was no more sword fighting allowed because there was already two broken swords and the day had just begun!

Babe Ruth when he played for the Red Sox (sorry Papa Hughes)!




No comments:

Post a Comment