Tuesday, June 19, 2018

World Cup Fever-Go Red Devils!

For months in the stores we have been seeing Red Devils gear.  At the grocery store I get stickers to put in this sticker book whenever I spend a certain amount.

Carrefour is the big grocery chain here.

Charlie and I have been studying up & trying to collect the entire team.


Over the weekend we watched a few of the matches in the other divisions.  During the Portugal game I was outside when Ronaldo scored his amazing third goal that wrapped around the defensive wall and into the goal.

The entire neighborhood erupted around us, people were yelling and carrying on.  It reminded me of being in our Boston neighborhood when the Patriots or Red Sox were scoring!







Last night Belgium played their first match against Panama and won-yippee!  We headed to this one area in Stockel where they had set up a giant screen for the fans.  Charlie missed the fun and Kelly is checking out Navy, so just Katie & her friend and I went.  I encouraged the girls to at least wear something red, but they didn't listen....they did grab Charlie's flag on the way out the door...

No red....they will correct this before the next game!
The giant screen...huge speakers too...

A sea of supporters watching...

Loved this little fan!  Just got Charlie the head dress too...it came free at the grocery store if you bought two packs of cheese!
Cheerleaders & Tuba players, a little something for everyone!

Crowd erupts after a score...Belgians are a little confused though...this is the Boston Bruins goal scoring song!

The confetti flying everywhere was very cool!

Jupiler is the working mans beer here...they are the big red beer can that sponsored all this..

Our corner pub was packing them in....and out on the street!

Just a house window I passed on my way home from school..

A restaurant downtown all decorated...

This is the side of an ivy covered house on my block...I love the round window.  I took this photo last week...
Same cool ivy house, but now my favorite window even has World Cup fever!!
We look forward to more Red Devils matches and hear good things about their chances, they have more players playing for the English Premier League than the English team was the stat we heard yesterday!  Next time Katie & her friend will be much more prepared and dressed for the game...stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment